natcap is on a mission to accelerate the nature-positive transition by integrating nature intelligence into business decision-making.
As regulatory and societal expectations extend beyond net zero, nature is increasingly recognised as the next frontier of sustainability. However, decisions on nature and biodiversity must be underpinned by robust science, and companies often lack the expertise and resources to understand the best course of action. natcap aims to support these companies by providing the data and scientific insights they need to report and act on nature, and monitor their progress over time. Our science and tech teams work closely together to build decision-useful models and metrics that can be deployed at scale through our nature engine platform.
In a short period, we have grown to serve major organisations in the UK, Europe, and Australia. As a result, we are looking for an exceptional Scientist with expertise in biodiversity modelling to join our team. If you are passionate about applying great science using scalable technology, are a strong team player, and enthused by the potential for impact at an ambitious and growing start-up, we would love to hear from you.
Reporting to the Head of Division, you will develop and implement novel science and research which both meets client needs and helps lead to positive outcomes for nature. Where appropriate, you will provide input into the development and delivery of the company’s science strategy and product development. You’ll bring subject matter expertise and outcome-oriented approaches to solving real-world problems.
You will lead and have ownership of in-house biodiversity models such as biodiversity intactness and connectivity of natural lands, and develop and deliver new metrics using our technology infrastructure. Together with the Head of Division, you will be accountable for quality assuring your own work and outputs and will actively develop an understanding of client requirements and the development of practical solutions. You will also be a strong team player, eager to support and collaborate with colleagues regularly.
Knowledge and skills
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of relevant internal nature, biodiversity or impact models within your division and a good understanding of other modelling approaches at the company
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of relevant academic research
- Demonstrate strong technical skills in GIS software and programming in Python. Familiarity with cloud computing is desirable.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the client needs and relevant regulatory requirements for your models
- Be engaging and at ease when presenting to customers, adapting your style to the audience
- Work collaboratively with customers to understand and meet their needs
- Confidently run small meetings
- Contribute to an inclusive, supportive and productive team environment
- Demonstrate an outcomes-oriented mindset and approach
- Inspire the team, and act as a thought leader in your area of expertise
- Truly own any piece of work taken on and meet all commitments
- Build relevant relationships outside your team, such as with colleagues in sales or external scientists at academic institutes
- Lead on the design, execution and presentation of analyses
- Create compelling and creative written communications
- Deliver client ready outputs to time while working independently
- Handle complex analyses competently, with little to no supervision
- Strong academic track record in a relevant field, with a PhD or equivalent level of experience in a related subject
- Passion for sustainability and the environment and having a positive impact on the nature and climate crises
- Excellent working knowledge of spatial analysis and associated tools, technologies and data and with a working knowledge of key biodiversity modelling concepts
- Excellent working knowledge of Python; familiarity with cloud computing is beneficial.
- Excellent communicator, with a knack for distilling complex & technical topics for non-specialist audiences, including C-suite executives
- Ability to demonstrate independent thought and to exercise judgement on the design and implementation of scientific research projects and program deliverables
- Action-orientated with the ability to manage multiple, varied tasks with enthusiasm to meet deadlines
- Comfort with ambiguity and change and ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
- Kind person who creates a supportive environment and champions inclusivity
Nice to have
- Experience developing and applying statistical or theoretical biodiversity models
- Knowledge associated regulatory and voluntary guidance for corporates on measuring and managing their interface with nature, such as TNFD, SBTN, and CSRD
- Track record in delivery of nature-related outputs to customers
What you get
- Opportunity to build a fast-growing company with genuine drive to make a positive future for nature
- Competitive compensation
- Chance to quickly grow personally and professionally
- Chance to contribute to the world’s leading solution to the nature crisis
- Generous leave allowance of 38 days per year (incl. bank holidays)
- Bi-monthly away days at an offsite location to think about the big picture
- £500 learning and development budget
If you don't tick every box in this job description, or think you can bring different skills to achieving our shared goals that our job ad doesn't capture, then we’d still like to hear from you and encourage you to apply.
If there are any adjustments we can make to make this process easier for you - for example, if you have a disability or a different way of working that we should be aware of – please let us know, and we'll do our best to help.